[c-nsp] Monitoring failed state of DSL / Cable (Ethernet) interfaces

Dan Martin dmartin at micromuse.com
Tue Mar 1 15:33:14 EST 2005

You may try "rping" on the router to ping some router upstream of the
dsl modem.  When the poll fails, you take the message and use that to
admin down the Ethernet interface on the router, thus triggering some
switch over.

Once its switched over, you will need to bring the interface back up so
you can keep pinging so you will know when the dsl line comes back to
life.

The fact that I know nothing about perl makes saying the following easy,

"you can just write a perl script to . . ."