[c-nsp] How to QoS Voice on a Cisco LNS (How to attach aservice-policy to a Virtual-Interface?)

BALLA Attila atis at eik.bme.hu
Wed Mar 2 05:07:00 EST 2005

Hi,

   I tried it again in our testbed: NPE-G1 as LNS, c1751 as LAC, and two
831s as DSL CPE.
   The CPEs are connected to a LAN switch, and the LAC is connected to this
LAN switch also.
   The CPEs are coming with PPPoE and the LAC forwards the PPP frames
toward the LNS via L2TP. We put hierachical QoS on the Virtual-Template
(shaping and llq, voice in the priority queue), we set mtu 576 and mss 536
and bw 512 on virtual-template. These paremeters are cloned to the
Virtual-Access.
   And this configuration was working _properly_:

c72.adsl#sh policy-map interface vi 289
Virtual-Access289

  Service-policy output: link_shaping_512

    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      292730 packets, 34361385 bytes
      30 second offered rate 396000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any
      Traffic Shaping
           Target/Average   Byte   Sustain   Excess    Interval  Increment
             Rate           Limit  bits/int  bits/int  (ms)      (bytes)
           400000/400000    2500   10000     10000     25        1250

        Adapt  Queue     Packets   Bytes     Packets   Bytes     Shaping
        Active Depth                         Delayed   Delayed   Active
        -      22        292708    34349657  44708     20992358  yes

      Service-policy : rt_q

        Class-map: rt (match-any)
          19007 packets, 1290166 bytes
          30 second offered rate 25000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
          Match: ip precedence 5
            19007 packets, 1290166 bytes
            30 second rate 25000 bps
          Match: mpls experimental topmost 5
            0 packets, 0 bytes
            30 second rate 0 bps
          Queueing
            Strict Priority
            Output Queue: Conversation 40
            Bandwidth 34 (kbps) Burst 1500 (Bytes)
            (pkts matched/bytes matched) 9234/592704
            (total drops/bytes drops) 0/0

        Class-map: class-default (match-any)
          273723 packets, 33071219 bytes
          30 second offered rate 370000 bps, drop rate 0 bps
          Match: any

Shaping and queueing was working and voice was good also.
Maybe it is unsupported feature because it is working up to some sessions,
but if we have a lot of sessions it doesn't work....

Anybody has any experiences?

BR,
   Attila