[c-nsp] Cisco 7204VXR NPE300 IO Controller issue?

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Wed Mar 2 14:28:30 EST 2005

Hi folks,

Last saturday, I had a problem with one of Cisco 7204VXR router.
Suddenly all interface was up, but no response for layer 3 activities.
I checked the connected ethernet switch, and the port was up/up.
But no ping/telnet/ssh/ospf was successful.
Even frame-relay PVC went down.
So I tried to access console port, but no success.
Therefore I tried to power-cycle the router.
After then, nothing came up.
Even port activities were down.
no signals from interface.
So I visited the location, and hooked up console port to my laptop,
but no response.
I tried to power-cycle the router several times,
then suddenly it came back on-line.

After this, I replaced the router with spare Cisco 7206VXR router.

I'm wondering whether anybody has similar experience, or knew the
possible cause of this issue.

Thanks.

Hyun