[c-nsp] Interconnecting two T1s with C-DS3

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Fri Mar 4 18:49:34 EST 2005

>> > Is it possible to order two T1s local to each office's serving CO,
>> > have them ride channels back to our NOC, and cross-connect them
>> > somehow?  At the NOC, there would be no equipment other
>> than MUX->Patch Panel->Patch Panel->MUX.
>> > The CSU/DSU on each end would be client located.

It'll work fine. We did this once when we moved a POP, just ran a
crossover cable (pins 1&2 -> 4&5 and 4&5 -> 1&2 for a T1) between the
smartjacks in the phoneroom. I've done this with DS3 circuits for
customers before too, again when moving POPs. We set the clock to
"network" on both ends and let the DS3 MUX provide clocking. Some carriers
will need one end to source clocking though, so you'll want to check that.
If you see clock slips, just change one end to the other setting --
there're only two options so it's easy to just test it and see what works.

Traffic passes just fine, although I'd be careful with loop ups/downs.
Loop codes use certain error patterns on the circuit, and I'm not sure if
they'll pass the smartjacks properly into the second circuit. It would be
unpleasent to be able to loop-up a circuit, but have the loop-down code
get corrupted and not work :-)

     -Bill