Fwd: [c-nsp] IOS device failover

Paul Kohler pkohler at cisco.com
Sat Mar 5 02:01:33 EST 2005

Tim,

Without knowing more about what you're looking to do Gateway Load Balancing
Protocol (GLBP), Enhanced Object Tracker (EOT), Server Load Balancing
(SLB), and OER are features that you want to check out. Here are some
points to keep in mind:

GLBP:
Allows load sharing across gateways and uplinks
Used at layer-2 to layer-3 boundary
Includes failover protection
Multiple routers participate in virtual router group with a virtual IP address
One member is elected as active virtual gateway and handles ARP requests
Other members are active virtual forwarders

EOT:
Extends the familiar Interface Tracking mechanism of Hot Standby Router
Protocol (HSRP)
Many Tracking Objects possible
Provides flexible control over EOT clients like GLBP
Can be used in combination with Reliable Static Routing, IP SLAs
(previously 'SAA') and Embedded Event Manger (EEM)
Not a load balancing technology itself but can be leveraged by load
balancing technologies

SLB:
Solution requires interaction between routers and servers. Both need to
support SLB.
Defines a virtual server that represents a group of real servers (server
farm) via a virtual IP address
C6500 and IOS software-based platforms are supported
Specifically targeted at server load balancing

OER:
Prefix based monitoring and optimization
Supports the optimization of up to 5,000 prefixes
Both Passive Monitoring (NetFlow) and Active Probing (IP SLAs)
Learning process where 1st  NetFlow determines prefixes of greatest
throughput and latency then 2nd IP SLA for every path to those prefixes.
Outbound now, Inbound coming
Prefix by prefix based balancing to 1000s of common destination networks

Rick Williams and I are writing a ppt preso for CCO on these and other load
balancing technologies.

Paul