[c-nsp] native vlan & tagged ?

matthew zeier mrz at intelenet.net
Sat Mar 5 03:36:18 EST 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 10:16 PM, Jack Parks wrote:

> Comments inline...
>

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:07:46 -0800, matthew zeier <mrz at intelenet.net>
> wrote:
>
>> My goal is to have the IPMI on Vlan10 and have the server on Vlan10
>> and
>> "something else" (whatever network the customer is on).   The IPMI
>> BMC card
>> doesn't understand trunking of dot1q.
>>

> More specifically, it is the native vlan (untagged) that the IPMI
> doesn't understand?

Right - the IPMI/BMC card doesn't understand dot1q.

> The "native vlan" is a throw back from the early ISL/.1q days.  It was
> used to pass BPDU/CDP/etc. (if I remember correctly).  As suggested
> earlier in the thread, tag all VLANs with "vlan dot1q tag native" or
> remove "switchport trunk native vlan 10" from your config.
>

> There is no reason to use/set the native vlan.  Typically, VLAN 1 is
> the native vlan.  If you are using VLAN 1 and need to pass VLAN 1
> traffic over a .1q trunk, then:
> (a) use the "vlan dot1q tag native" command (*recommended)
> (b) change the "native VLAN" to another VLAN id (one that you are not
> using on the trunk)
>
> In your case, since both Windows and Linux understand tagged frames,
> the removal of "switchport trunk native vlan 10" from your interface
> config should do the trick.

While the OS understands it, the IPMI/BMC, which shares the same NIC
with the OS, doesn't understand it.  So if I tag vlan10, the BMC
becomes unreachable.  The only way to get the card to work is when it's
untagged.

Are you suggesting that if I tag vlan10 (either by using the global
command or removing the per-interface 'switchport trunk native', that
vlan10 will be tagged to the OS but still be "viewable" by the BMC?

--
matthew zeier - "Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be
understood." - Marie Curie