[c-nsp] BGP Question - Upstream

David Luyer david at luyer.net
Sun Mar 6 21:43:11 EST 2005

1.  Prepend to all the other upstreams to equal up the path length
    and have your other upstreams prepend out to you as well

2.  There is a non-Cisco router[1] which will basically "remove-private-as"
    a public AS.  But it is an ugly solution and requires support from
    both the direct upstream (to strip their AS from the path) and
    the tier 1 (to disable AS path validation "no bgp enforce-first-as"
    is required).  If its only inbound AS paths that matter then its
    the direct upstream who need to be able to strip the AS and you who
    needs to "no bgp enforce-first-as".

3.  Combine #1 and #2;

		outbound, prepend to upstreams other than this one by one

		inbound, get direct upstream to not add their own AS to
		any paths which transit their AS, and disable
enforce-first-as
		on your router

4.  eBGP multihop to the tier 1 (requires, again, support from the tier 1,
    and static routes to ensure the multihop doesn't pass over the wrong
    path)

5.  Cut out the middle man :-)

#1 and #5 are the real solutions.

David.

[1] at least I'm not aware of any IOS version which can do this but
    I've seen it done in a Foundry.  It would be trivial to make
    IOS able to do it if you could find someone with code access :)