[c-nsp] Cisco 2610 & NM-4E Problems

Claydon, Tom Tom.Claydon at DobsonTelco.net
Mon Mar 7 15:35:21 EST 2005

As a followup, the router in question is a 2621 (not a 2610), and is
running 12.1(5) IOS (ROM is 12.1(3r)T2). The Ethernet interfaces do show
up in the hardware list, and the router does not mention any errors with
the card or the slot upon bootup.

We attempted to use the NM-4E last week - the first Ethernet port (e1/0)
worked fine with a fiber-to-Ethernet transceiver. Link came up fine, and
I was able to pass traffic across it without any issues. However, 2
through 4 (e1/1 through e1/3) would not bring up link on the
transceiver. Moving the working transceiver to any of these ports would
not bring up link. I went through several iterations of cables, swapping
around transceivers, etc.

Also, the "EN" light in the lower right-hand corner of the NM-4E never
went into a green state -- it stayed orange, even when rebooted.

In any case, we are in the process of ordering another NM-4E through
another vendor, but does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on
with this card?

Thanks again.

PS -- I can forward "show hard" and "show tech-support" off-list if
you're interested.