[c-nsp] IP Route Profile

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Mar 9 08:48:20 EST 2005

>>> Does anyone here know how to interpret the output of an IP route
>>> profile? I read the docs and I thought it was fairly simple, but
>>> then I saw some things that I could explain based on my
>>> understanding so I must have been wrong.
>>
>> How about pasting your output from "show ip route profile" and tell
>> us what doesn't make sense to you (and why?)? ;-)
>
> Okay, I just cleared the profile counters and here's what I'm seeing:

> Change/   Fwd-path  Prefix   Nexthop  Pathcount  Prefix
> interval  change    add      change   change     refresh
> 0         19        19       19       19         18
> 1         0         0        0        0          0
> 2         0         0        0        0          0
> 3         0         0        0        0          0
> 4         0         0        0        0          0
>
> Nothing unusual there, I suppose. However, further down the list I see
> this:
>
> 155       0         0        0        0          0
> 280       0         0        0        0          1
> 405       0         0        0        0          0
>
> Why is there an entry in interval 280 already? I just turned on route
> profiling. It's been running for under a minute, so why is there data
> in intervals so far down the list? That makes me think I don't
understand
> what I'm seeing.

Ok, the output is not very intuitive, acknowledged. The Change/Interval
column represents the frequency buckets. A Change/Interval of 20
represents the bucket that is incremented when a particular event occurs
20 times in a sampling interval (5 secs). So in your case, you *once*
(Number "1") had around 280 prefix (line "280") refreshes in a 5 second
interval.

Hope it is clearer now..

	oli