[c-nsp] 7206vxr/300 vs 7507/rsp4

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Mar 9 20:11:58 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Eric Kagan wrote:

> > Is that 60-80mbits a total of all the FEs, and do you expect
> > much growth over time?
>
> Yes, constant growth.
>
> The big question is, aside from RSP redundancy, is the 7500 going to give me
> anything better/more than a 7200 ?

I'd say yes, though I'm not sure how it compares to a VXR with NPE-G1...it
probably doesn't.  Keep in mind, there's no real gigE for the 7500.
Sure, there are GEIP and GEIP+, but both are a waste of money if you want
gigE because you have gigE traffic and aren't simply looking to terminate
a few FE worth of traffic from the 7500 into a switch that has no FE
ports.

I still say keep the VXRs around for terminating WAN interfaces (T1, DS3),
and get a 6500 for the FEs.  Don't waste time on the 7500 unless you're
prepared to go straight to RSP8 and VIP4s instead of the much cheaper
RSP4s and VIP2s.