[c-nsp] SAA and Jitter Measurements

James MacDonald j4m3sm63 at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 9 22:18:48 EST 2005

you should check out SmokePing ... www.smokeping.net ... this is a project developed on and by the MRTG people ... has SAA support and other probes.

Jim

John Neiberger <John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com> wrote:
I'm trying to determine a relatively inexpensive way to do some VoIP
performance testing on our network in anticipation of rolling out an IP
telephony solution. We're very confident that everything's going to be
just fine but I'd really like to see the numbers, if you know what I
mean.

I'm playing around with the SAA jitter measurements but I'm not sure I
understand the output as completely as I should, and I'd prefer to graph
performance over time. Is there an inexpensive tool available that can
pull the SAA info from the router and then produce output in a more
helpful format, perhaps including some graphs?

I don't really want to pay for this because it's just going to be
temporary. If we roll out a VoIP solution then chances are we're going
to spend the bucks for a more extensive monitoring solution. I just need
something to do some testing on my own ahead of time.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
John

Jim MacDonald