[c-nsp] ICMP filtering policy

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:27:39 EST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:51:29 +0200
"M.Palis" <security at cytanet.com.cy> wrote:

>  I will like have your suggestion about icmp filtering policy at an ISP
> perimeter network  . After some research I figured out that the following

What I prefer to do in most all circumstances is the following:

  ! allow incoming PING and ICMP-style traceroute
  permit icmp any any echo
  ! allow ICMP reply to PING or ICMP-style traceroute
  permit icmp any any echo-reply
  ! allow parameter problem style error reports
  permit icmp any any parameter-problem
  ! allow TTL expired error report
  permit icmp any any time-exceeded
  ! allow net/host/protocol/port unreachable error report
  permit icmp any any unreachable
  ! deprecated, unnecessary or undesirable
  deny icmp any any

John