[c-nsp] BGP Fast-external-fallover

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Fri Mar 11 16:20:42 EST 2005

We're migrating from a frame relay environment to an MPLS-based VPN
using BGP for routing. Our provider does have BGP dampening configured.
In that sort of environment, would it be beneficial or not to use bgp
fast-external-fallover? I can see that in the case of the circuit that
is bouncing often that it might cause our routes to be dampened. On the
other hand, if a circuit just takes a quick hit, which is probably more
likely, the BGP session will re-establish quicker.

I'm leaning toward using this feature but I'd like to get your
opinions.

Thanks!
John