[c-nsp] BGP Fast-external-fallover

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 00:43:59 EST 2005

--- John Neiberger <John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com>
wrote:
> We're migrating from a frame relay environment to an
> MPLS-based VPN
> using BGP for routing. Our provider does have BGP
> dampening configured.

Wait, your provider is dampening you, their customer?
Something's not right here - generally dampening is
used toward peers, not customers, because dampening is
the converse of the SLA approach.  Personally, I
wouldn't pay for service from a provider which would
willfully permit me to remain down...

> In that sort of environment, would it be beneficial
> or not to use bgp
> fast-external-fallover? I can see that in the case
> of the circuit that
> is bouncing often that it might cause our routes to
> be dampened.

This is a certainty.

> On the
> other hand, if a circuit just takes a quick hit,
> which is probably more
> likely, the BGP session will re-establish quicker.

If the difference between the BGP timers and the
interface timers is really that important to you,
dampening needs to be entirely off the table.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com

NEW ALBUM, "The Sound and the Furry" available at
http://www.cdbaby.com/thefranchise