[c-nsp] Dampening

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Sun Mar 13 20:22:34 EST 2005

David,

You bring up some good points.  The reality is, is it dampening is good
and dampening sucks.  I guess its up to everyone to pick their poison.
At the very least, those that implement dampening should do so in a very
well thought out way.

One way that seems to have merit is using progressive dampening, where
you penalize a /24 more than say a /8 or /16.  The idea being that alot
more people
are going to be peeved if a /8 is not reachable.

Also, I believe that no matter what, a route should not be dampened
unless it has flapped
at least 3-4 times.  Alot of things go on in the operational day to
day, where a prefix may flap
1, 2 or even 3 times, and that should not be seen as a problem.

Brian

On Mar