[c-nsp] BGP Reachability Scanning in 12.3T

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Mar 14 04:50:48 EST 2005

Brian Vowell <> wrote on Monday, March 14, 2005 10:33 AM:

> I have a 2821 router running 12.3(11)T3 and BGP.  "show proc mem sort"
> shows BGP Scanner eating up a lot of cpu time.  Is there a way to
> disable the reachability checks in this IOS?  All our BGP peers
> connect to us on a LAN, so there's really no point in doing these
> checks.  I'd rather keep all the routes around until they're
> explicitly withdrawn.

sorry, but you can't disable the BGP scanner. It runs as a low-prio
task, so anything more urgent to take care of gets done..
In the upcoming 12.3(14)T release, we made BGP NH tracking event-driven
("BGP Support for Next-Hop Address Tracking", already shipping in
12.0(29)S, will also be in 12.2S later), so BGP scanner will no longer
be needed for this..

	oli