[c-nsp] BGP Fast-external-fallover

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 12:14:50 EST 2005

--- John Neiberger <John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com>
wrote:

> In my original post I mentioned that this is an
> MPLS-based VPN network,
> not the Internet. We are not multihomed but we still
> require BGP for
> dynamic routing advertisements to and from our VPN
> provider. Any
> instability introduced by my routes flapping should
> only affect my VRF,
> or routing instance, or whatever the heck you want
> to call it. :)
> Additionally, none of my sites advertises more than
> just a handful of
> routes, perhaps ten at the most.

Yep, so a flap is not exactly causing a tremendous
amount of churn...

> Here's the real-world scenario that eventually led
> to my original
> question: one of my sites was having circuit
> problems and once Qwest
> local fixed the circuit, I was still down because of
> dampening and I had
> to call Qwest to have them manually clear the
> dampening on those routes.
> I don't want that to happen and I've already spoken
> with them about
> removing dampening but I'm not making any headway.

This implementation demonstrates exactly why a
provider shouldn't dampen his/her customers.  If they
won't remove dampening, I can direct you to a whole
bunch of SPs who would be happy to offer you MPLS VPN
service with no dampening (not just my employer).

-David Barak