[c-nsp] Bridge Root Priority

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 15 23:19:58 EST 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 8:31 PM, Vandy Hamidi wrote:
> I'm looking for best practices for setting Root Priority on my core
> switch (6500 catos).

(beware of line wrapping)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/
products_tech_note09186a0080094713.shtml#stp

> I typically run the "set spantree root" which lowers the root priority
> to 8192.
> My engineer is asking me why we wouldn't set it down to "1" so that it
> couldn't be overthrown with a priority less than 8192.
> What are best practices or opinions on this matter?

8192 is still way, way lower than the default, so it's maybe it's
not an issue for you.

Our practice is to manually set it to 0 on the primary core
switch and to 4096 on the secondary switch, both of which are
routers running HSRP.

Dale