[c-nsp] VTP Pruning

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Mar 16 18:30:08 EST 2005

Right, presence of a MAC in a VLAN on a trunk is not a requirement (though
typically it would be a logical consequence).

As far as how it works, it is just an additional TLV in a VTP summary
advert message, which signals the pruning state of each vlan on the sending
switch.

 From the pruning spec, the vlan pruning bit for a vlan might change when:

any port's STP state changes (forwarding to/from blocking/disabled), or
any vlan's STP status changes (active to/from inactive), or
any (static/dynamic) port assigned to a vlan, or
any port's status changes (trunk to/from non-trunk), or
a vlan's status changes on a trunk port (allowed to/from disallowed)
a trunk port's creation or deletion

Tim

At 03:30 PM 3/15/2005, Bruce Pinsky declared:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759