[c-nsp] pvst and mst

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Thu Mar 17 08:16:41 EST 2005

Hello folks,

hopefully someone can clue me in that knows the whole story.

We have a mixture of 3508 and 2950 Cisco switches in some
sports of our network and the number of VLANs increased a
lot lately. Now, the 3508 cannot do MST or rapid-pvst if I
am not mistaken. That being said I have basically two Q's:

1. Can psvt and mst co- exist? I get told they can, it has
to do with setting all ports (default) to portfast except
the trunks, and then mst and pvst can live fine with each
other. Obviously we need that thing to work with the 3508.

2. Is there a sane way to switch from pvst to mst, without
losing management completely? ,-) It probably is related
to the 1st question, yes, but how does one migrate from a
to b here the easiest way?

Any clues/ideas/hints would be highly appreciated. I have
heard n+2 stories from n ppl so I wanted to better double-
check here.

Thanks lots,
Alexander