[c-nsp] pvst and mst

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Thu Mar 17 12:14:40 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 March 2005 23:24:43 +1000, David J. Hughes wrote:
>  From our experience, dodge MST.  Rapid PVST can happily co-exist with
> "standard" PVST so your legacy Cisco switches will be well supported.
> Migration from PVST to RPVST is a much more pleasant experience (and a
> lot easier to revert if it all goes pear shaped).

David,

thanks for your feedback. What do you do though with some
64-ish and more VLANs in a ring setup, knowing you can only
take some 3 or 4 more VLANs until the max number of instances
for pvst is reached? The 3508 and 2950 are both at 64 (not
counting the 1002-1005 stuff) max, and that number is pretty
close.

Also mst does not work on 3508. Can you say 'argh'? ;-)

Alexander