[c-nsp] Sorta OT: MM GBICs

info at beprojects.com info at beprojects.com
Thu Mar 17 12:46:22 EST 2005

From:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_module_installation_guide09186a00801cc731.html

WS-G5484
GLC-SX-MM
Short wavelength (1000BASE-SX)
Contains a Class 1 laser of 850 nm for 1000BASE-SX (short wavelength)
applications.

And a quick google on "class 1 laser":

Class 1 lasers are products where the irradiance (measured in watts per
metre square) of the accessible laser beam (the accessible emission)
does not exceed the Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) value. Therefore,
for Class 1 laser products the output power is below the level at which
it is believed eye damage will occur. Exposure to the beam of a Class 1
laser will not result in eye injury and may therefore be considered
safe. However, some Class 1 laser products may contain laser systems of
a higher Class but there are adequate engineering control measures to
ensure that access to the beam is not reasonably likely. Examples of
such products include laser printers and compact disc players. Anyone
who dismantles a Class 1 laser product that contains a higher Class
laser system is potentially at risk of exposure to a hazardous laser beam.