[c-nsp] 5505 with 1000baseT gbic

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Mar 17 15:44:43 EST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:36:55PM -0500, Mike wrote:
> I put a 1000baseT gbic in a 5505 and it shows up as: Unknown GBIC
>
> It's recognized correctly on the 6509. Does this mean the 5505 can't use
> this gbic or it's usable but with problems?

Somewhere in the archive of this list is the answer people found some
years ago: the 1000baseT GBICs doesn't work in the Cat5k Supervisor
boards, and (if I remember correctly) not in the 3-GE blade, but they
are supported in the 12-GE blade, or something.

The reason given was these GBICs need more power than fiber GBICs, and
the boards can't drive them.

<conspiracy>
My pet theory is that Cisco just didn't bother to implement support
because they planned to let the cat5k series die anyway...
</conspiracy>

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de