[c-nsp] BGP of 3750 Catalyst.. pinning IP

Peter Kranz pkranz at unwiredltd.com
Sat Mar 19 15:13:22 EST 2005

We are turning up a 3750 Catalyst as a multi-homed BGP router for one of our
customers.. They have a single /24 avail to them a would like it setup as a
255.255.255.0 subnet mask..

Usually we would pick an IP address from this, i.e. 200.123.123.1/32 and
assign it to the loopback address as the anchor for the BGP process since it
will never go down.. however, due to the customers desire for a
255.255.255.0 subnet, we cannot split off a /32 for the loopback.

If we assign the 200.123.123.1/24 to the catalysts Vlan1, it goes down
whenever no ports in the Vlan an up, causing the BGP process to stop
advertising the /24 they want to multihome. This is workable, but will cause
route dampening penalties whenever the Vlan is going up and down due to
maint.

Any better suggestions on how to pin up the /24 advertisement?

Peter Kranz
Founder/CEO - Unwired Ltd
pkranz at unwiredltd.com