[c-nsp] device advice

mikus der.mikus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 02:51:13 EST 2005

These units come highly recommended, they really do handle small and
very large floods of anomalous traffic rather easily.  They actually
allow you to sleep at night if you are a recipient of common DDoS and
require very little maintenance once you tune them well (read:
manually).

Some items to note: Be careful to mind their recommendations of
protecting only 30 unique hosts or networks, as once they hit that
limit and get pushed a bit, they do become unstable.  I would
recommend keeping this number no more than 25 if they get kick in a
lot or hard.  If you have a small footprint, or can categorize your
network easily by a large aggregate, they will handle your needs
easily.  Otherwise, ask to talk to a BU TME about help for planning
the deployment if you decide to spring for them.

-mb