[c-nsp] Cisco MultiLink PPP

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Mar 25 03:24:02 EST 2005

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
>> I just converted one of our remote POPs from an NxT1 cef load sharing
>> to MLPPP to see if it would help with some VOIP quality issues we
>> were having.  Am I right in thinking that MLPPP avoids the sort of
>> out of order packet arrival that per-packet cef load sharing can
>> cause?...while still doing nearly perfect load sharing across a
>> number of T1s?
>
> Yes, both true..

FALSE!

It does great load sharing but you can still have packets arriving out
of order.

I just closed a case with TAC on this last week.  It was one of those
cases pushed up from bonehead support to higher level support.  The
problem is CBAC ACL's didn't work on routers running load balancing
on either ip cef or multilink ppp.  (well they worked if I only wanted
to have about 30kbps throughput on a 3MBps link, that is)

The tech the case eventually arrived at said in no uncertain terms that
this was a known bug - CBAC can't handle out of order packets, and you
get
them in either load balancing scenario.

He said the fix is in the most current 12.3, and that there have been
"literally thousands" of bugs corrected in load balancing scenarios in
the last year.  (his words)

Ted