[c-nsp] Cisco MultiLink PPP

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Mar 25 03:30:51 EST 2005

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of combining 2 x T1 (1.5Mbps) into a
> larger pipe of 3Mbps for greater capacity via MLPPP.
>
> I would like to check if MLPPP is supported on all
> Cisco platforms with Serial interface or is it only
> supported on selected platforms.
>
> Under MLPPP, will traffic be distributed amongst both
> links (i.e. I can download at max of 4Mbps) or am I
> limited to the max of each link (i.e. I can download
> at max of 2Mbps).
>
> How processor intensive is MLPPP?
>
> Are there any caveats to look out for?
>
> Does anyone have experience with MLPPP to share?

We have the following setup running and it works great:

7206  IOS 12.2.27

3600  IOS 12.2.27

2 T1s point to point.

CPU utilization on the 7206 peaks at 25% but averages
around 7%  And the 7206 has a DS3 card in it and a 4
port serial card for the T1s and does a lot of other stuff.

On the 3600 it peaks at 45% but averages 25%

Customer bandwidth peaks at around 1.5Mbt, except at night
when they run their offsite backup where it saturates the
pipe at 3Mbt.

Ted