[c-nsp] VRF Light

mikus der.mikus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:16:08 EST 2005

VRF's can be useful in a variety of fashions when you need to get
creative with limited equipment or just need to build a full mpls
network.  It has some limitations and quirks when using for host
networks with vrf forwarding, but is fairly widely supported these
days on just about anything with reasonable proc and ram up to
high-end gear.

I've actually been nagging my SE and AM's about feature requests to
get management (tacacs, snmp, syslog, ssh, etc) completely VRF aware
backward at least to 12.2 on more platforms.  This functionality tends
to exist in 12.3 and 12.2T trains now on low-end gear, but really I
have a lot of 6500 and 7300's that are acting as P/PE's I'd like to do
this with running current 12.2S/SX.  DE's keep dragging to implement
this backwardly, and I keep an open ticket with them for now about 6-8
months.  Management feature enhancements always seem to be neglected
on their more steadfast existing platforms, which is disappointing to
see coming from someone like Cisco.

I'd say if you're interested in this functionality as I am, bug your
SE/AM's for feature requests too..

-mb