[c-nsp] 7206VXR w/ Process Memory Parity Error

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sat Mar 26 23:11:55 EST 2005

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:

>> I have a 7206VXR (NPE-300) that has been working fine as a border
>> router for over two years. It reloaded itself last night, and the
>> logs say that it was due to a "processor memory parity error".

>> Does anyone here have any experience with this type of error on the
>>  7200-series? Should I write this incident off as a random glitch?

> If you have never updated IOS on this router for the last 2 years
> it is suceptable to a number of remote attacks.

I have a 7204VXR/NPE-300 that crashed three times in the last six weeks
with a "Software forced crash" (Block overrun, corrupted redzone)
running 12.2(13)T12.  Have upgraded to 12.2(15)T15 (with TAC blessing)
and so far so good.  It had been running quite some time (though not two
years) without problems.  The "remote attack" scenario is an interesting
alternative theory as this is an edge router (fed by DS3).

Jeff