[c-nsp] Cisco MultiLink PPP

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Mar 28 12:33:17 EST 2005

Lawrence Wong wrote:
> How about 3640 running plain IOS and just running
> MLPPP with no NAT, no IPFW, no nothing? I noticed eBay
> selling quite a number of 3640 "cheap".
>

> --- Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:
>> Lawrence Wong wrote:
>>> May I know if that is a 3620 or 3640? Any issues in scaling up to 4
>>> x T1/E1 ?
>>>

>> It is a 3620.
>>
>> I am pretty sure it could scale just fine if you
>> were not doing NAT on it
>> (mine is).  But as for the 2500 platform that
>> definitely will not do 2
>> t1's pegged.
>> It will, however, do 2 T1's if the bandwidth is
>> pretty asymmectrical
>> (mostly
>> incoming or mostly outgoing)

Even better, the 3640 has a 100Mhz R4700 processor, the 3620 has an 80Mhz
R4700 processor.

Make sure to include the cost of Cisco Relicensing for Used Equipment
for the IP feature set your planning on running, and the cost of a Cisco
service contract so you have permission to run the most current IOS
version on it.  And, remember that Cisco service on used equipment does
not
carry hardware support, so if it dies, you have to buy another one off
Ebay.

Ted