[c-nsp] 12.2S or 12.3 ?

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Tue Mar 29 10:03:50 EST 2005

Now, getting my first few own 7206VXR/NPE-400/512MB into production soon I'm still unsure which image to use.

Since now I've only run with 12.2, 12.2T, 12.3 and 12.3T and I still wonder what exactly the 12.2S images are good for (as every IOS-release is highperformance,unmatched,optimized,carrier-class,enterpise-edge multi-core,V3PN optimized in marketing papers - and some are full of bugs in basic funtionality)

I need no speciual features, only E1/E3 terminination, some basic QoS, PPPoE/L2TP aggregation, BGP.
Working IPSec,SSH and some 12.3 features would be fine but is no must-have. MPLS would be possibly fine for future things but also optional for now as we do everything end-to-end IPSec anyway.

>From 12.3T I know enough that I won't run it on these core-boxes because there're definitely already too many bugs in basics I ran into myself..
I now tend between 12.3(10) which I had good experiences with and some 12.2S like the latest 12.2(25)S3
Giving stability absolutely highest prio but also tending to use new features,
what IOS would some of you start with when building up a new POP core from scratch ?

TIA,
Michael