[c-nsp] c7206VXR(NPE-G1) w/ 12.2(18)S8 - Memory failures

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Mar 29 10:17:46 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:16:10AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we are using IOS 12.2(18)S8 in some of our router and
> > sometimes when we make changes on the BGP policy we run out of
> > largest memory, and we are not able to see the running-config
> > or to save running-config to startup-config and to solve this
> > problem we have to reload the router.
> >
> > Our routers are 7206VXR witch NPE-G1 with 256M and the routers
> > are configured with MPLS and managing BGP tables around
> > 160.000 prefixes, we have openned a TAC case but Cisco
> > engineer told us that bug CSCdy18789 is solved in 12.2(18)S8
> > and that Cisco recommends 512M of memory for routers that
> > manages between 100.000 and 200.000 BGP routes.
> >
> > Have anyone had the same problem?, do you think that the
> > problem will be solved upgrading memory to 512M?
>
> Cisco always recommends a little bit more ram than the max you
> can use in their last years product. :-)  I think there's a sales
> incentive there somewhere....

	it's more of the hardware people don't realize that the sw
people are growing quite that fast.

> You might try backflashing to 12.1 if it has the features that
> you need.  Each new IOS train seems to consume more ram for doing

	Do not listen to this advice, the NPE-G1 started sw support
in 12.2(4)B, loading an earlier c7200 image will cause it to not boot.

> the same things than the old ones did.  I suspect the population of
> IOS programmers who can write in assembler has been steadily dropping
> for years.  For all we know they are using BASIC nowadays to write
> IOS. ;-)

	um, i recommend actually talking to people at cisco before making
such wild statements.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net