[c-nsp] 7204 performance

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Wed Mar 30 13:23:13 EST 2005

ted klugman [tedklugman at yahoo.com] wrote:

> An engineer suggested that the root of the problem is
> that our 7204 routers (with NPE-400) is adding a large
> amount of latency (on the order of 30-50ms), and that
> the solution is to move our ATM connections to our
> core networks with FlexWAN modules in our Cat6500's

That's absurd.  There's no way that an NPE-400 box is going to add any
significant amount of latency with such a small a connection off of a PA-A3
(or even A6 or whatever), unless the box is being constantly hammered through
other higher speed ports.

I've used NPEs and VIPs with PA-A3 cards for at least 4 years now and the
results have always been excellent.  Even the CX bus AIP adapter running
with an old RSP2 (test box :) handles 20Mb loads gracefully.

-c