[c-nsp] c7206VXR(NPE-G1) w/ 12.2(18)S8 - Memory failures

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Mar 31 04:34:46 EST 2005

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 10:34:39AM +0200, Santiago Felipe Perez wrote:
>

> 	I would upgrade memory to 512m or even 1G as if you upgrade
> to 12.2(25)S in the future you will see significant memory usage.

The NPE 300 and NPE 225 only go to 256MB of ram.  What is your suggestion
there?

> 	I recommend that anyone who is running full bgp routes upgrade
> to at least 512m, if not more if your system can handle more
> just to reduce
> the impact of any memory leak bug or other problem with the system.

Not too long ago 128MB was sufficient for a full BGP table.  Then it went
to 256MB which killed use of all NPE's under NPE225.

Now it is at 512 which kills all NPE's save the G1.

Funny thing though - I don't recall the global BGP table doubling is
size when 128MB of ram became too small, nor do I recall it doubling in
size when 256MB became too small.

It is sad to see that Cisco's developers have been told to force
obsolescense
on the customers.

Ted