[c-nsp] New PIX DoS Vunlerability?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Mar 31 15:58:16 EST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Christopher McCrory wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 14:33 -0800, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> > We've recently seen three different customers with PIXen, two 515s and
> > one 506, that have locked up solid.  No console, no throughput.  Power-
> > cycling brings them back.  Two running 6.33 and one 6.34.
> >
> > Bug toolkit doesn't show anything relevant.  Anyone else seeing similar
> > behavior?
>
> Did you ever find out more information or a cause?  as in, "Should we be
> worried?"

Not specifically.  I suspect coincidence.  I received private email from
a Cisco engineer who indicated that PSIRT had no other reports.  The 506
seems to be a hardware failure, probably thermal.  I may try the heat-gun
and freeze-spray trick on the PCB if I have the time.  Replaced with a
new one, identical config, no problems.

One of the 515s has been fine since being power-cycled.  The other may be
part of a group of units with a manufacturing defect, an out-of-spec chip
that results in a timing issue under load.  The customer is checking date
codes now.

Cisco indicates that having a unit "freeze" is something that should not
happen (probably due to a watchdog reset circuit).  In the event of a
crash, the unit should reload.

So, I don't think we should be worried.  Just an oddity.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/