[c-nsp] Question about setting up VTP

Jeff Crowe listacct at genhex.net
Sun May 1 08:41:19 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am planning on linking two cisco 5500 switches using GE uplinks on port
3/1 on both devices.  I want to share the vlan's across both switches, so I
think I have to enable vtp.

I have set the vtp domain and password on both switches to match, set both
the switches to mode server (I want to enable vlan's on either switch
independantly, but be able to see them on the other).

I think my next set is to set the port 3/1 to trunk mode with desirable set
and also set the vlan eligability.

The switches are in production environments, so each has vlan's already
setup on them.  Luckly, the only common vlan between the two is vlan 1
(management) which is also on the same subnet on both switches, all the
other vlans are unique.  I am planning on using dot1q for encapsulation and
have set the said's accordingly.

If I enable the port 3/1 to start passing vtp information, will one switch
overwrite the other's vlan database?  If so, how can I prevent this from
happening?

Thanks,
Jeff