[c-nsp] Hooking cisco Aironets up to colubris gear

Ed Whitesell edwlist at airpathwireless.com
Mon May 2 10:15:51 EDT 2005

Eric -

Unless you're looking to do something special with the traffic on the Cisco
APs, you should just set them up up as "dumb" as possible.  Have them bridge
the traffic, no VLANs, no authentication, etc. (though multiple SSIDs should
be OK).  Let the 3500 handle all of the DHCP, DNS, Authentication, captive
portal re-direct, etc.

If this is an enterprise type rollout, you could go far enough to use VLANs
on the APs and your existing infrastructure, provided the users end up on
the same broadcast domain as the 3500's LAN interface.  The important part
is that the 3500 needs to see the end-user's ARP traffic to track sessions
appropriately.  Unless there's something brand-new that I haven't seen from
them (Colubris) yet...

If you still have questions, I'd suggest contacting Colubris support.  I'm
sure they can help out.

Ed Whitesell

Network Manager

Airpath