[c-nsp] X-IMail-SPAM-Connection DNS Cisco 4506 Switch Upgrade Question

Keith LeClaire techlists at tsgny.com
Tue May 3 11:33:31 EDT 2005

I am looking to replace my current mess of 24 port switches with one Cisco
4506.

The 4506 would be uplinked to a 7206 router. Since I am running a 7206
(non-VXR) I cannot handle a gigabit interface, and the 4506 supervisor-iv
only handles gigabit uplinks. My current traffic load is well under 100
megabits so the 100 megabit uplink speed should be fine, and future upgrades
may be to a gigabit capable router.

Is it acceptable to utilize one of the 10/100 Ethernet links on a line card
to uplink the router to.

I will need to run mulitple VLANS on the switch and have the switch do
intervlan routing, and enter into my ospf area, anything not destined for
one of the switch vlans will be routed out to the router.

Is this a valid configuration plan, or can someone recommend a better
option.

Thanks,
   Keith