[c-nsp] Remote powered LRE

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Wed May 4 06:06:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

has anyone of you tried to power LRE CPEs remotely? In theory, I should
be able to apply some DC voltage onto the Cu pair, couple it out from
the CPEs "phone" jack, and feed it back to the DC power supply input.
The phone jack seems to be DC coupled (just low pass filtered
above some 800kHz or such), as it works well powering phones.

What I actually want to do, though, is remote power the CPE *and* an
additional WLAN AP. The AP will likely require 48V DC while AFAIR the
LRE requested for 12V DC (I don't have one handy to look onto it, but
I assume they differ in voltage simply as an application of Murphy's
Law). So I'd even require a piece of electronics that is fed from the
phone jack with 48V DC, works as a power injector for the AP and can
feed the LRE CPE with the voltage required by that. I don't assume
something like that exists. Am I wrong?

TIA,
Andre.
--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-