[c-nsp] Re: Graphing multiple PVC's on multipoint ATM subinterface?

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed May 4 23:35:22 EDT 2005

At 08:40 PM 5/4/2005, Roger Weeks wrote:
>We have a different setup on our ATM than you, because we're using
>RBE and not PPPoE, and our interface is point-to-point, but I have no
>problems graphing these customers with our old MRTG software.  I
>never had any problems with cfgmaker not recognizing ATM
>subinterfaces at all.  Here's a sample config for one of our PVC ranges:

configmaker does indeed recognize the subinterface. That wasn't a
problem I was trying to solve. The problem was that I have one
subinterface with dozens of PVC's and I needed the bandwidth
utilization on the PVC, not the total traffic on the subinterface
which is a sum of all PVC's.

>interface ATM2/0.4200 point-to-point
>description DHCP ADSL Users PVC 4/200 to 4/206
>ip unnumbered Loopback1
>ip helper-address x.x.x.x
>ip flow ingress
>no ip mroute-cache
>atm route-bridged ip
>range pvc 4/200 4/203
>   class-range classADSL
>!
>end
>
>I used this script to call cfgmaker:
>
>#! /bin/sh
>/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker \
>         --global 'WorkDir: /var/www/graphs' \
>         --global "Logformat: rrdtool" \
>         --global 'Options[_]: growright,bits' \
>         --global 'PathAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool/bin/' \
>         --global 'LibAdd: /usr/local/rrdtool/lib/perl/' \
>         --ifdesc=descr \
>         --ifref=descr \
>         public at router.foo.com > /var/mrtg/cfg/router.foo.cfg
>
>You need to make sure that the ifdesc and ifref fields pull something
>that is unique to the interface.  If you're doing --ifref=ip that
>might be a problem if those PVCs are using IP unnumbered (for
>example) because MRTG will see all of the interfaces as having the IP
>of the loopback, and will only use a single interface and comment all
>the others out.

This provides you with a configuration file that generates 4 unique
graphs (pvc's 4/200, 4/201, 4/202, and 4/203)??

In our setup the PVC's don't have IP addresses assigned to them on
either side. They accept PPPoE connections from our customer's
CPE/Computer. It's just bridged traffic from their side to ours.
PPPoE is initiated to provide a transport protocol and assign them an
IP address.

>Secondly, if you have a lot of customers and you want graphs for
>every PVC, and you want to be able to group them, say by city, or by
>PVC range, MRTG is going to be problematic - at least I never had any
>luck with it.

Yeah, MRTG is limited in many regards. I've been looking to rebuild
our graphing machine with different software.

You really start running into problems if you try to graph more than
512 interfaces on any given device.

>We migrated to using Cacti - http://www.cacti.net - and I am really
>happy with it.  It stores all data in a mysql backend, it's
>configurable 6 ways from sunday, and it allows me to group my
>subinterfaces arbitrarily.

I think I've checked into that among other things. Just haven't
switched to anything yet... I was hoping Tobi might have the newer
MRTG that's based on rrdtool sometime soon, but I've been waiting a
long time for that. :) I should probably just switch to rrdtool with
some decent front end. I'd like to still have configurations
automatically created if desired though.

Any suggestions on keeping the automatic config generation with
configmaker or something equivalent using rrdtool as the backend and
a nice front end, anyone? :) I'm sure it's out there in several flavors.

>--
>Roger J. Weeks
>Systems & Network Administrator
>Mendocino Community Network
>Now offering DSL in Northern California
>

>On May 4, 2005, at 11:14 AM, cisco-nsp-request at puck.nether.net wrote:
>
>>Message: 7
>>Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:40:37 -0400
>>From: Vinny Abello <vinny at tellurian.com>
>>Subject: [c-nsp] Graphing multiple PVC's on multipoint ATM
>>     subinterface?
>>To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
>>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>I'm wondering if there is a way to graph individual PVC's on a
>>multipoint ATM subinterface that is using the pvc range command. We
>>have this setup for aggregating DSL customers. For example:
>>
>>interface ATM1/0.1 multipoint
>>   range pvc 1/301 1/360
>>    ubr 10000
>>    encapsulation aal5snap
>>    protocol pppoe
>>
>>Using a tool like MRTG's configmaker, we get configs for just the
>>subinterface to be graphed which shows us a combined total of
>>bandwidth for all PVC's on that subinterface specified by the range
>>command. I'd like to see actual usage on each PVC if possible. Does
>>anyone know if this can be done by polling a specific OID which
>>relates to each PVC or would it have to be broken down into
>>individual subinterfaces with one PVC per subinterface?
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Vinny Abello
>>Network Engineer
>>Server Management
>>vinny at tellurian.com

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain