[c-nsp] IOS 12.4 and NAT

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Thu May 5 05:20:20 EDT 2005

Hi,

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 01:12:14PM -0700, Kevin Graham wrote:
>
>>Had you tried this under 12.3(14)T? Didn't realize specifiying
>>inside/outside interfaces didn't imply 'ip nat enable', but w/ the NVI
>>enhancement, 'ip nat enable' is all you should need now.
>

> Sorry for sounding stupid, but what's "NVI enhancement"?  Any pointers?
>
> gert

It's new in 12.3(14)T so is in 12.4(1).

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123t/123t_14/gtnatvi.htm

"The NAT Virtual Interface feature allows all NAT traffic flows on the virtual
interface, eliminating the need to specify inside and outside domains. When a
domain is specified, the translation rules are applied either before or after
route decisions depending on the traffic flow from inside to outside or
outside to inside. The translation rules are applied only after the route
decision for an NVI."

I couldn't get it to work on a 1721...

May have been just user error though, so I haven't logged a CCO case about it
yet.  Need more time to fiddle with it first ;)

reuben