[c-nsp] old Cisco 7000 hardware - Uses? value?

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 09:57:51 EDT 2005

--- Tristan Gulyas <zardoz at hotblack.net> wrote:
> G'day all
>
> We've got some old 7 slot Cisco 7000 boxes in
> various configurations (4 -
> only with RPs and SPs, one with an SSP) plus some
> cards for them (a few
> multimode AIPs, FIPs, 6 port EIPs).  I imagine that
> these are pretty useless
> for production environments however.  Some are
> missing their flash cards
> (and metal sleeves to suit - are these really
> important?).
>
> I don't know whether these things have a resale
> value on them or not,
> either.  If so, what are they worth?  Are the line
> cards useful for the 7500
> series (maybe the AIPs could be put to use
> somewhere)?
>
> How capable are such units?  I believe they only run
> 11.1? What sort of
> people would find practical (i.e. as a router, vs. a
> doorstop for a big
> door) uses for them?

I used to have two of these which made very excellent
stepstools in my lab...

You might get some value out of using the IP-blades
(AIP or FIP), but their throughput is going to be
pretty low, and they won't run dCEF, so make sure that
whatever box you put them in can live with a whole lot
of process-switching.  Also, you won't get anywhere
near line-rate throughput with the AIP.  As long as
your expectations are low, you should be ok using them
:)

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com