[c-nsp] old Cisco 7000 hardware - Uses? value?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Thu May 5 10:02:10 EDT 2005

> We've got some old 7 slot Cisco 7000 boxes in various configurations (4 -
> only with RPs and SPs, one with an SSP) plus some cards for them (a few
> multimode AIPs, FIPs, 6 port EIPs).  I imagine that these are pretty
> useless
> for production environments however.  Some are missing their flash cards
> (and metal sleeves to suit - are these really important?).

RPs and SPs have virtually no value, unless you want to have a little
Internet museum in your office :-)

If by "metal sleeves" you mean the support structure for the blade, I'd
say that without that the blade is pretty much worthless.

> I don't know whether these things have a resale value on them or not,
> either.  If so, what are they worth?  Are the line cards useful for the
> 7500
> series (maybe the AIPs could be put to use somewhere)?

You can get maybe $20 tops for each of them on Ebay, except for the AIP
since no one seems to have any use for those. FIPs (FDDI) sometimes sell
(but not for much), the EIP you can most likely sell. RPs and SPs seem to
usually sell for cheap too, although I'm not sure who can actually use
those anymore... I think the 7000 power supplies will work with the 7500
routers though (check this, I'm not *certain*), and if that is the case
then you can probably sell them for a worthwhile amount. I doubt the
chassis will be of interest to anyone since the high shipping cost will
make it unattractive.

> How capable are such units?  I believe they only run 11.1? What sort of
> people would find practical (i.e. as a router, vs. a doorstop for a big
> door) uses for them?

I know for sure that at least the FIP can work in 12.x since we still run
a few to link halves of a 7576 in one of our POPs. I would imagine the EIP
probably also works. The AIP I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised
if it no longer functions since that would explain the near total lack of
interest in that particular blade on the used market.

     -Bill