[c-nsp] router ethernet

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Thu May 5 14:38:30 EDT 2005

Hello

Kern, Tom wrote:

> I have a 1700 router which is my internet router. it has a
> frame-relay serial int and an etherent int. About twice a month, the
> ethernet int dies. Actually, it says eth0 up, line protocol up but i
> can't connect to the internal network from the router. I can however
> ping out on the frame. The eth int is connected to a watchguard
> firewal via a crossover cable. Both ints on the router and firewall
> are set to manual and full duplex. I can see some connections coming
> in on the firewall and connections going out but there is no internet
> access. I'm pretty sure its not the firewall.

I had this with a WatchGuard Firebox X700 connected to a Catalyst
3500XL.  During the problem, the Cat3500 reported no MAC addresses at
all seen on one of the Ethernet ports.  Pinging the FB (allowed in the
policy) didn't help, and only a reboot of the Firebox solved it.

Needless to say I started to dislike that box even more ;)

Peter.

--
Peter Hicks | e: my.name at poggs.co.uk | g: 0xE7C839F4 | w: www.poggs.com

   A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation