[c-nsp] SS7 on a 2610XM

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Thu May 5 17:00:19 EDT 2005

Lucas,

On May 5, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Lucas Iglesias wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to have a 2610XM talking to a PBX directly in SS7?
> (without a
> PGW2200 or anything else?).
> The situation is this one, a customer has a PBX which (according to
> him) can
> not "talk" in anything else but SS7 (no ISDN, R2, CAS, etc). So I was
> wondering if I could place a 2610XM with a NM-HDV-1E1 on his
> facilities to
> "talk" in SS7 to his PBX and end calls or recevie calls from it.

Short answer is no,

The customer probably doesn't know what he is talking about.  Even if
he is right and his PBX only accepts SS7 links (is a Nortel DMS-100
or Lucent 5e  'PBX' ??) it would most likely want them in standard A-
link/F-link format (56kbps data inside a T1 channel).  The 2610 is
going to convert the SS7 link into SIGTRAN (SS7 over IP) and expects
to talk to a softswitch (PGW2200)

Are you sure the customer can't accept PRI?  The PRI D channel is
basically a stripped down version of SS7 ISUP

-Matt