[c-nsp] Nmap(way ot)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri May 6 14:59:13 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:35:08PM +0200, nevot wrote:
> I didn't know this *awful* behaviour, but, if i'm right, an ARP
> request will only be made if the destination IP is covered by the mask
> of the sender's IP configuration.
> That is, if client PC is 172.16.1.1/16, it will only send ARP request
> if destination IP is in 172.16.0.0/16 network, but not sent if
> destination is, for example, 66.11.66.101

Correct - unless you have something like "point the route to some
remote network to the local ethernet" (instead of "to a gateway").

If a route is pointing to an ethernet interface, the sending host (or
router) will have to ARP for every destination in that network.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * RIPE 50 @ Stockholm *