[c-nsp] IPv6 subnets for point-to-point links

Marcel Lammerse lammerse at xs4all.nl
Sat May 7 11:17:05 EDT 2005

Dear all,

according to the documentation I'm reading, it is not recommended to
assign /127 subnets on IPv6 point-to-point links since it breaks some
IPv6 mechanisms. An example is duplicate-address-detection (dad),
which uses a subnet-router anycast address, that would conflict with
one of the two available address on the link. However, the same
documentation mentions that it was popular practice on the 6bone.

This confuses me.

Is it or is it not safe practice to use /127  instead of the
recommended /64 and waste a lot of address? What are people typically
using?

Thanks,
Marcel

--
Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much
deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen

                Steven Wright

Marcel Lammerse
lammerse at xs4all.nl