[c-nsp] Recommendations for 10GBase-Capable switch

lists at hojmark.org lists at hojmark.org
Sun May 8 16:41:32 EDT 2005

> The Cisco 4948 uses X2 optics which I think is weird since
> all other Cisco 10GE is Xenpak.

The 4948 uses X2, because the 4500s with Sup5 uses X2. That's
what the 4948 is.

Oh, and not 'all other' Cisco gear uses Xenpak. There are XFPs
for the ONS as well as the new 10G SPA for the 12K and CRS.

So why does the 4500 use X2 instead of Xenpak? Because the X2
is cheaper. So why is the X2 more expensive from Cisco than the
Xenpak from Cisco? Well, marketing-logic, I guess.

Long-term, they'll propably all use XFP, which are smaller (and
cheaper, I think).

-A