[c-nsp] Recommendations for 10GBase-Capable switch

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon May 9 11:52:57 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:35:44AM -0500, Robert Hayden wrote:
> Why would I want a single switch that could aggregate N number of SFPs
> to a single 10GE uplink?  Because I could deliver a 10GE connection to a
> building and then fan out 1GE connections to the individual wiring
> closets in it.
>
> Yes yes, I could spend another 10 grand (list) on a -12S switch and add
> it to the stack, but that uses up more rack space, more power, more
> cooling, and more resources to manage.
>
> A 3750 with 1x or 2x 10GE and 16 or more SFPs would be the perfect
> platform for building aggregation.

It's not Cisco, but Extreme just last week announced this 24-SFP (w/4
ports combo 10/100/1000) and optional 2-XENPAK switch. The price and
performance put the 3750 to shame (though no one I know would use Extreme
for Layer 3 :P).

http://www.extremenetworks.com/libraries/prodpdfs/products/SummitX450_DS.asp

Eventually someone had to make this. Maybe Cisco will step up to the plate
with an answer now?