[c-nsp] Migrating Cat3550 to Supervisor II on 6506

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue May 10 04:25:08 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:10:50AM +0100, Peter Hicks wrote:
>   1. In business terms, how can I justify putting the routing functionailty
>      directly inside the core switches rather than on 3550s?  From a
>      technical angle, "It's a lot better" would be enough :-)

More bandwidth available per end host.  Due to the way etherchanneling
works, for a given MAC pair (Router<->Host) you'll never get more than
100 Mbit/s in your setup.

Working counters...  (though I don't know about the 3550, they might
actually have working ones).

>   2. I'm looking at a WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2 (Sup2, 2GE + MSFC2/PFC2), but I'm a
>      bit confused at to the difference between an MSFC and PFC.  Do I need
>      both?  Or just an MSFC?

As far as I understand, the PFC is the "L3 forwarding engine", and the
MSFC is the "L3 brains".  So you need both.

>   3. Will I be able to run IOS natively on the 6506s after upgrading the
>      supervisor?  One of the juniors in our team is learning IOS and finding
>      CatOS a struggle (as we don't make many changes to the 6500s), and I'd
>      like to have IOS everywhere if possible.  Are there any caveats to
>      running IOS on the 6506s?

Can't answer that.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/